In the world of the internet, everybody wants to put their mark online. And for that, you must have a website or blog that will tell the world about you, your business, or the services you provide.
With WordPress, Starting a website or blog doesn’t require any website programming or technical skills. You can simply set up your WordPress website or blog and can manage it by yourself.
But often, most of the people, especially beginners and the ones who don’t know enough about the website hosting, get confused. They can’t figure out which hosting service providers, their services & plans are best to host their website(s).
So I ( Bhuvnesh Shrivastava ), will guide you about selecting the right hosting service & plan to host your WordPress website.
But before I go ahead, let me make one thing clear, which you might be thinking and that is: Do I have enough knowledge and experience to guide you on this?.
My answer is Yes, I am a Professional WordPress Developer with 8+ years of experience in website design & development.
And throughout this journey, I have got the chance to use different hosting service providers to host either my websites or my client’s website.
So I will share my knowledge and experience with you, which will help you to select the right hosting service provider & plan.
10 Important Things to Keep in Mind While Choosing a Web Hosting Service
Here are 10 important points that will help you to find a perfect hosting and hosting provider for your website.
- Web Hosting Speed – Speed plays an important role for any website to be successful. Nobody waits for long to load the webpage, so make sure the hosting server you select should be really fast.
- 24/7 Quick Support – Support is one of the most important factors that you should consider when selecting a good host. If you are not a technical person, then there can be so many chances where you need help & support, so make sure they are ready to help.
- Server Uptime – Uptime generally refers to the accessibility of the server, so make sure the host you are selecting should have at least 99% uptime. because if the server has downtime then it will not be accessible, and thus your site also will not be accessible by the internet.
- Unlimited Bandwidth – Bandwidth refers to the transfer of data between the server or your website and users. So it should not be limited or metered. The use of limited or metered bandwidth can cost you extra money, or slow down your website performance when your site starts getting high traffic and exceeds the data transfer limit.
- Automatic Backup – Keeping the automatic backup of your website’s files and database is another important factor that you should check when going to select a host. However, it’s your duty too, to keep a complete backup of your website including files, images, and databases in your local machine or wherever you want to keep it. This will help you a lot, if you accidentally messed up with your website or something got broken with the website.
- PCI Compliance – PCI stands for Payment Card Industry, which enforces some standards to protect the payments online. So if your website accepts payments online or performs any kind of transactions, then make sure the hosting you choose should fulfill PCI standards.
- SSL Certificate – SSL Certificate, again another element of security. It stands for Secure Socket Layer. Most of the hosting companies provide SSL certificates free for a period of time, while some charge you to install an SSL certificate on your website.
- Control Panel ( cPanel ) – Hosting companies provide control panels to their users to manage their domains, website files, database, FTP accounts, subdomains, creating email accounts and much more. cPanel is one of the most commonly used control panels.
- Flexibility In Use – Always select a hosting company that allows you the flexibility to use their services and plans, so that you can easily upgrade or downgrade to any hosting plan or services as per your needs.
- Email Accounts & Management – Generally, all good hosting companies provide Email accounts along with features like autoresponders, email lists, email forward, webmail, etc. But the catch is, they provide different options and email accounts for different plans. So before selecting a hosting plan you must check for your email accounts and management needs as well.
Above are some of the most common & important points, which you should keep in mind when you select any hosting company and buy their plans. So as of now, you must get familiar and get the idea to select the right hosting company to host your website or blog.
Now the question is, In the world of hosting, there are different types of hosting available. So how you will figure out, which hosting suits best for your needs and requirements.
And the answer is: Don’t worry, I will explain to you about different types of hosting, so you can figure out which one suits best for your needs.
How to Choose Right Hosting for WordPress Website
Apart from the important factors that I discussed above, first and foremost you have to figure out your hosting needs.
Because selecting a hosting package under the below of your requirements can lead to poor website performance, and selecting a hosting package over your requirements can cost you extra money.
But the question is, how will you figure out that?.
Let me tell you the type of hosting that hosting companies provide so that you can get a better idea about hosting selection.
Types of Hosting
Shared Hosting, is one of the most commonly used types of web hosting. In shared hosting, they use a single physical server to host multiple websites. And since many users use that single server that’s why the cost of using shared hosting is low.
Shared hosting is affordable and good for those who wanted to start their website or blog. So if you are a small business or just wanted to start a blog without investing too much in the hosting and server setup, then surely you can go with this.
By the way, let me tell you, in the world of hosting they consider shared hosting as a starting point or basic hosting. But trust me it’s not. Shared hosting fulfills all the requirements for the majority of websites.
You don’t need to worry, If you are going to host your website with shared hosting unless your website is getting huge traffic, or your requirements are beyond the shared hosting.
VPS stands for Virtual Private Server hosting. In VPS Hosting, A physical server divides into multiple servers and then each part of the server acts as a virtual private server.
VPS gives you the option to have your own personal server with your allocated resources, applications, and operating system. So this provides you a more secure environment.
VPS Hosting is an ideal choice, If your website or blog is growing and exceeding the limits of shared hosting resources, or you want to have dedicated server resources for your website. You can also choose VPS hosting as a start If you want to have dedicated resources as per your website needs and make it more secure.
The biggest snag of using VPS Hosting is handling server updates and maintaining server environments. So if you don’t come from a technical background, or you don’t have any specialist to maintain your server resources then you can go for Managed VPS Hosting.
Managed VPS Hosting
In Managed VPS Hosting, they handle complete server environments and maintain the resources and applications on your behalf.
Dedicated Server Hosting
In Dedicated Hosting, the hosting company assigns a physical server to you and this gives you complete control to manage your server and install and run the application, operating system or hardware of your choice.
In Dedicated Hosting, You get complete control over your server so you can optimize it according to your needs, performance, and security.
If your website receives a huge amount of traffic or you want to set up a secure and custom server environment for your website then you can go for dedicated hosting.
Again like VPS, The Dedicated Hosting involves the technical work to manage the server, so if you don’t come from a technical background or don’t have any system administrator then please go for Managed Dedicated Server Hosting or choose a plan, in which hosting companies provide you support to manage your dedicated hosting.
Managed WordPress Hosting
As we all know, WordPress is the most popular and used blog tool or CMS software that people use to build their websites or blogs.
And because of that, hosting companies have decided to provide WordPress Optimized Hosting for the users, who want to start their website or blog with WordPress but they don’t want to deep dive into the technical side of this.
With Managed WordPress Hosting, you can only host websites or blogs that are built with WordPress. Apart from this, you don’t have to worry about anything related to your websites like WordPress updates, themes & plugins updates, website speed, security and automated backup, and much more.
They will provide you access to a nice managed WordPress dashboard that will tell you everything about your website including performance, backup, and if something is making your site slower or breaking the site.
In general, Managed WordPress Hosting costs a high but it’s completely worth it to the services they offer.
So if you don’t want to indulge yourself in the technical side of WordPress, or you don’t have someone to manage your WordPress website from a technical point of view and if you can afford Managed WordPress Hosting, then you must go for it.
I hope I have cleared all the points and made hosting selection easy to understand for you. Now based upon the needs and requirements of your website or blog, you can choose the right web hosting services and plans.
List of Best Web | WordPress Hosting Service Providers
I am only listing the hosting companies here, that I have personally used either for my websites or for my client’s websites.
Apart from these, there are so many other hosting providers available in the market. You can check out for them as well and verify the important factors that I have discussed above.
When it comes to choosing a great host, Bluehost is the name you can trust completely. Bluehost is one of the best web hosting providers in the world when it comes to hosting WordPress websites.
Bluehost is one of the top hosting providers recommended by WordPress officially. They provide different types of hosting including WordPress Hosting, WordPress Pro Hosting, E-commerce Optimized Hosting, Shared Hosting, VPS Hosting, Dedicated Hosting and along with that they also provide Domain registrations and Email Management.
Bluehost offers different types of plans and services to support everyone from a starting blogger to a big business. Bluehost provides:
- Free Domain Name Registration For 1 Year
- Free SSL Certificate
- 30 Days Money-back Guarantee
- 24/7 Support
Siteground is one of the best and recommended by WordPress hosting providers. Siteground offers different types of hosting services including Shared Web Hosting, WordPress Hosting, Woocommerce Hosting & Cloud Hosting.
With the Siteground Hosting Plan, you will get:
- Free SSL
- Free CDN
- Free Email
- Free WP Installation
- 24/7 Support over phone, chat & ticket
Namecheap provides different types of web hosting including Shared Hosting, WordPress Hosting, VPS Hosting, Dedicated Hosting, Private Email Hosting, and much more, along with that they also provide domain registration.
If you are looking for a hosting company with great hosting service and 24 x 7 customer support but you have a tight budget, then you must go with Namecheap.
Namecheap plans and services they offer to justify its price. Even with their basic or starter shared hosting plan you can host up to 3 websites along with features like:
- Unmetered Bandwidth
- Free Automatic SSL Installation
- Free Website Builder
- Free Domain Name & Privacy Protection
- 30-Days Money Back Guarantee
Hostgator again is one of the most popular and leading hosting providers in the world. Hostgator provides different types of hosting solutions for a small business or blogger to top-notch business industries.
Hostgator offers Shared Hosting, WordPress Hosting, VPS Hosting, Dedicated Hosting, Easy Drag & Drop Website Builder, Domain Registration, and much more.
With Hostgator Shared & WordPress Hosting, You will also get:
- Free Domain Name Registration For 1 Year
- Free SSL Certificate Installation
- Unmetered Bandwidth
- One Click WordPress Installs
- 24/7 Customer Support and much more.
Do you still have any questions to select hosting?
It’s completely ok if you still have questions or doubts about selecting a hosting or hosting a WordPress website. I am covering up some of the common questions here:
Can I host a WordPress website or Blog with Shared Hosting?
A big YES, you can host a WordPress website or blog with shared hosting. There is nothing wrong with this, even with shared hosting you can also host some other applications as well.
Should I Purchase WordPress Hosting Or Managed WordPress Hosting to host WordPress website or Blog?
It’s up to your choice, however, there is no rule, to host WordPress websites you need WordPress hosting, but some people find it more useful cause these hostings are specially optimized for WordPress.
Will the free domain name be of my choice?
Yes, it will be of your choice, they will ask you to find your domain name and if that domain will be available then you can select that domain.
Do I have to renew my domain name after a 1-year free period?
Yes, Generally most of the hosting providers offer domain name free for 1 year. After that free period, you have to renew your domain name as per their price.
What if I want to upgrade or downgrade my hosting plan in the middle?
Most of the hosting providers including the above ones provide the flexibility of use. You can upgrade or downgrade your existing plan. To know more about this, you can ask your hosting provider’s support team.
Will I get a professional email address?
If you purchase a plan that allows you to have a professional email address then you can create your own professional email address. To know more, ask for a hosting provider support team.
I already have a domain registered with some other company, can I use that domain with any of these hosting companies or their plan?
Yes, If you already purchased the domain of your choice from some other company then you can use that domain with your hosting package. To link that domain with your existing hosting, you can ask for a hosting provider’s support team.
So Thank You guys to be with me at the very end and I hope this article will help you to select a perfect hosting for your website. I wish you all the luck & success of your website or blog.